Supervisor - Metallurgist
Director Quality & Environment – GTO - Hagerstown
Direct reports and matrix reports to the above Position
Direct report: Quality Metallurgical Lab technicians (5)
Develop and improve the metallurgical activities and be the expert in cleanliness.
- Be the metallurgist and supervise the activities performed by the metallurgical team.
- Develop and improve processes related to the technical and metallurgical functions to ensure that customer’s requirements are met and that testing is carried out in an efficient and controlled / timely manner.
- Define and implement activities to maximize the effectiveness of the cleanliness room.
- Develop continuously the competences of the metallurgical laboratories team.
- Provide metallurgical and technical support to internal customers in a timely manner.
- Perform metallurgical analysis on field failure parts and sample preparation techniques.
- Train employees in the use of laboratory equipment, machinery including destructive and non-destructive testing equipment and on new way of workings.
- Develop standard operating procedures (SOP) for the metallurgical laboratory.
- Audit special manufacturing processes such as paint application.
- Ensure that heat treatment is carried out in an efficient and controlled manner by auditing.
- Coordinate and investigate quality problems of a metallurgical nature by reporting findings and initiate corrective actions with the support of Purchasing, Engineering and Production.
- Attend on a regular basis to the internal customer meeting to give feedback on activities and address their concerns.
- Participate to the global network with other plants.
- In project, being the representative to ensure that pre-requisites related to metallurgy are communicated and addressed for the readiness at the start of production.
- Perform cleanliness audits and be the expert / reference.
- Be the responsible to develop the training content of cleanliness topic.
- Report the progress of cleanliness audit on a monthly status and escalate when required.
- Be the facilitator during global cleanliness audits.
- Any other activities linked to metallurgy.
- Leadtime for cleanliness recommendations closure
- Leadtime for feedback to the Production line following various audits / checks
- Bachelor of Science degree in Metallurgy or Materials Engineering.
- Preferred experience and knowledge
- 10+ years laboratory experience to include sample prep, microstructure analysis, induction hardening, continuous and static furnace heat treatment.
- Quality engineering experience is a plus.
- Manufacturing experience.
- International network experience.
- 5 years of supervisor experience
- Experience of union environment
- Maintain a “Safety First” attitude.
- Evaluate performance of team member and initiate counseling or training to obtain the optimum effectiveness of the department activities.
- Customer Focus: Understand the needs of internal and external customers
- Understand the collective bargaining unit agreements.
- Maintain state-of-the-art knowledge in the field of metallurgy.
- Ensure that latest revisions of external standards are accessible on-line.
- Communication and collaboration are the keys in this position.
- Encourage Operational Excellence.
- Strive for continuous improvement.
- Needs to have a good understanding of the Volvo Group Businesses
Volvo Group Trucks Operations encompasses all production of the Group’s engines and transmissions, as well as all production of Volvo, Renault and Mack trucks. The organization is responsible for spare parts supplies to the Group's customers as well as for designing, operating and optimizing logistics and supply chain for all brands, production facilities and distribution centers where the Volvo Group operates. In Volvo Group Trucks Operations you will be part of a diverse team of highly skilled professionals who work with passion, trust and embrace change to stay ahead. We make our customers win.
We Participate in E-verify
We willen u leren kennen
Zodra u uw sollicitatie bevestigd, zal u een bevestigingsmail ontvangen. Hierna is het nog steeds mogelijk om uw profiel aan te passen.
Als u geselecteerd wordt voor een interview, zal u over de volgende stappen worden geïnformeerd: een tweede interview, assessments en referenties.
Alle kandidaten worden op de hoogte gebracht wanneer een kandidaat voor de functie wordt geselecteerd. U kunt ervoor kiezen dat wij uw cv in onze database bewaren en u kunt een zoekagent activeren die op zoek gaat naar andere vacatures die overeenstemmen met uw profiel.
Wanneer u start, ontvangt u een introductie om snel deel uit te maken van het team en uw nieuwe job te starten op de best mogelijke manier.